It has always been stated by many educators that the best students to teach are the children as they are like empty disks that is very to fill in. Their mental absorption of information and ideas that will be feed to them is still very strong which makes it easier for them to digest such ideas. Lately, to further enhance the develop of the mental possibilities of these toddlers, ASCENT Brain Gym exercises for student have been introduced in many classrooms and institutions of learning.Methods that are often utilized when performing these activities with the young ones is based on the promotion of coordination, movement, and flexibility in these toddlers through the use of combinations of movements. The program integrates movement into the instruction method to take advantage of proper mental development, especially the bilateral functionality of the mind. Utilization of all the areas of the mind is the ultimate goal that the program aims to achieve. Through the specially designed exercises, children are able to gain equal access to all the areas of the mind. Methods that will be employed can also be based on how the child needs to be developed mentally. Often, the behavior of the student will be gauged to determine which area of his mind needs to be further stimulated.
ASCENT Brain Gym exercises for Student comprise a set of exercise routines which often utilizes the fingers in stimulating the neurons in the human mind to function properly and improve the circulation of blood in the body. It has been noted along the years that children who are suffering from some mental difficulties experienced the situation because of the inadequate supply of oxygen to the mind. One of the most basic routines incorporated in this program is the Lazy Eights or Double Doodles which is designed to target proper coordination between the hand and the eye. Both sides of the brain is stimulated using this technique while at the same time, it also results to improve visual tracking, improves attention span, and enhances the child’s memory. Another basic routine is the calf pumps. The routine is designed specifically to improve a child’s concentration, comprehension and attention. It also helps children to improve their abilities in answering questions directed to them, enhance their imagination, and develop their ability to finish any given task to them. The routine which stimulates the reptilian mind also helps get rid of the feeling of not being able to blend in and of holding back. Other ASCENT Brain Gym exercises for Student are the thinking caps, the elephant, tummy and head rub, air writing and the energy yawn. All of these activities are generated to help a child improve both the hemispheres of his mind. The routines will also help him properly gain the coordination ability that is very indispensable as he grows and matures.
These & other brain training exercises are also especially effective for children with learning difficulties. A good time to perform them is right before learning activities.
Read through the list once or twice before trying the movements then dive in, enjoy but be patient.
Our brains are 90% water & depend on it to think clearly. Just think of how fuzzy minded you get when you lose water when exercising. Replenish and you’re back to normal.
Drink water, or have children drink water, before & after learning, especially before exams. Be consistent & patient & see how this impacts you in a few weeks or even days.
10 ASCENT Brain Gym Exercises
1. Cross Crawl- another of the ASCENT Brain Gym exercises that helps with spelling, writing, listening, reading and comprehension by coordinating the right & left brain. Brain gym exercises, effects exercise, free brain exercises, brain training exercises
Stand or sit. Place your right hand across the body to the left knee as you raise it, and then do the same thing for the left hand on the right knee just as if you were marching. Do this for 2 – 3 minutes.
2. Brain Buttons- This free brain exercise increases blood flow to the brain. The extra blood flow, the extra water, switches the brain ON, improves attention required for learning & performing. Position one hand so that there is as wide a space as possible between the thumb and index finger, like a large letter.Place your index and thumb into the slight indentations below the collar bone on each side of the sternum. Press lightly in a pulsing manner.At the same time put the other hand over the navel area of the stomach. Gently press on these points for about 2 minutes.
3. Lazy 8s improves visual attention & eye mobility needed for reading.
*Align body with a point at eye level. This will be the midpoint of the 8.
* Choose a comfortable position for drawing the Lazy 8, adjusting the width and height to fit your needs.
* Start on the midline and moves counterclockwise first, up, over, and around. Then move clockwise: up, over, around, and back to the beginning midpoint.
4. Arm Activation-one of our free brain exercises, helps increase attention span. * Reach up above your head with your left arm, lengthening from your rib cage. Hold your arm just below the elbow with your right hand. * Now isometrically activate your left arm for a few seconds in each of four positions away from your head, forward, backward, and toward your ear. Rest your left arm again at your side. Now stand and let your arms hang comfortably by your sides.
5. Hook Ups- are an example of how effects of exercise include improvement of mood, lessening of anxiety. Stand or sit with the right leg crossed over the left at the ankles. Take your right wrist and cross it over the left wrist and link up the fingers so that the right wrist is on top. Bend the elbows out and gently turn the fingers in towards the body until they rest on the sternum (breast bone) in the center of the chest. Stay in this position. Keep the ankles crossed and the wrists crossed and then breathe evenly in this position for a few minutes. You should feel noticeably calmer after that time.
6. Thinking Caps- helps with spelling, short-term memory, listening ability & abstract thinking. * Perform this brain training exercise by using your thumb and index finger to gently pull and unroll the outer part of the ear, starting from the top and slowly moving to the lobe. Pull the lobe gently. Repeat three times.
7. Calf Pumps- improves concentration, attention, comprehension, imagination and endurance. ASCENT Brain Gym exercises, effects exercise, free brain exercises, brain training exercises. * Reap the beneficial effects of this exercise by standing, arms length away from a wall, placing your hands (shoulder-width apart) against it. Extend your left leg straight out behind you so that the ball of your foot is on the floor and your heel is off the floor and your body is slanted at 45 degrees. Exhale, leaning forward against the wall while also bending your right heel and pressing your left heel against the floor. The more you bend the front knee, the more lengthening you will feel in the back of your left calf. Inhale and raise yourself back up while relaxing and raising the left heel. Do three or more times, completing a breath with each cycle. Alternate to the other leg and repeat.
8. The Elephant- is a brain training exercise that activates all areas of the mind/body system & is highly recommended for children with attention deficit disorder. Place the left ear on the left shoulder then extending the left arm like the trunk of an elephant with knees relaxed, draw the infinity sign (crossing up in the middle) in front of you. Switch arms after three to five complete signs.
9. Energy Yawn- is one of the ASCENT Brain Gym Exercises that relieves the stress that interferes with learning & performance. Simply massage the muscles around the TMJ (temporal-mandibular joint) at the junction of the jaws.
10. Positive- Points helps relieve stress & improve memory. Lightly touch the point above each eye halfway between the hairline and the eyebrow with fingertips of each hand. Close your eyes and breathe slowly and deeply for a few seconds. Release & repeat 3 times.